The carob is widely known for its beneficial uses. Due to its highly antioxidant components and richness in fiber, protein and vitamins, it was and still is used for medicinal purposes. It is also renowned as a gastrointestinal supporter. Before the conventional sugar was widely used, carob pods were a significant source of sweetener. Low in cholesterol and naturally sweet, the carob is a healthy substitute to chocolate and sugar. When we discovered this recipe, we just could not stop doing it over and over again! The fluffiness and smoothness of the cake’s texture makes it irresistible. It just melts in your mouth and gives you pleasure with no bad conscience!!!!!
preparation time : 10 minutes
cooking time : 40 minutes
- 1 cup carob molasses
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 star anise or one teaspoon anise powder
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup flower water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
1. Preheat the oven at 180’C
2. Pour the carob molasses in a bowl. Add flour and baking powder and mix well.
3. Warm one cup of water and prepare the star anise infusion by letting it rest for a few minutes. When the water cools down to lukewarm, add it to the mix. Alternatively, you can use a teaspoon of anise powder infused in one cup of water.
4. Add the oil and the flower water and mix well.
5. Spread a bit of tahin or oil on the surface of an oven dish. Pour the mix and bake for 30-40 minutes. You can either make two smaller cakes or a big one. Serve at room temperature and ENJOY!